Monday, August 16, 2010

Camping

Daddy took Mommy and I on our first camping trip last weekend. We went up to the Reef Campground on the Sonoma Coast. After a long drive, we arrived at the campground and drove around to look for a good site. We found the best one! Very private, closest to the beach and trails and near the bathrooms :)
I napped in the tent while Mommy and Daddy set everything up and then we went to the "beach" to watch Daddy dive for abalone. This beach had no sand, only rocks, so it wasn't a lot of fun. I pulled up my pant legs to try out the water, but it was too cold!
Here's Daddy coming in from his first dive. He got his abalone, but broke his spear gun so he didn't get to fish for the rest of the trip.

After diving, I wanted to take my new Tinkerbell fishing pole for a spin. Daddy carried it down to the beach for me.


We didn't catch much besides kelp so we went back to camp and had dinner. I chose our first meal so we had grilled cheese and tomato soup. Then we sat by the fire, made some smores and read some stories.

The next day we started the day with a hike on the bluffs above the ocean.

We found some butterflies and watched the boats and the divers in the water. We walked over above the Fort Ross beach to see if there is a sandy beach for me to play on.

There were a lot of fun bridges to cross and I really liked the one with the railings.

Then we went down to the rocky beach since it was low tide. We went looking through the tide pools. We found sea stars, anemones, tons of hermit crabs and some fishies. Mommy found a baby sea star for me to hold.


After my nap we went over to the beach at Ft. Ross for Daddy to dive and for me to have some sand to play in. I took off my pants so I could go down to the water. I was worried about my shirt and panties getting wet too so I had to try to hold them up.
I helped Daddy get his boots on for his next dive.

When Daddy came back, he convinced me that I should touch and then hold the abalone he got.

When we got back from the beach, my friend Joey was waiting at our campground. They stayed to play and Joey and Nolan and I had tons of fun playing in the campground and in Joey's minivan. When they left later, Big Joe turned on the car and the windshield wipers were going and the blinkers were all on!

After grilled steaks and corn, we settled into some marshmallow toasting.

It was Nolan's first birthday so after that we sang to him and had some cake. When they left, I wanted to go home too. Mommy and Daddy convinced me we should stay the night.

The next morning we did another quick hike, broke down camp and then Daddy did his last dive for three abalone and we hit the road. I say that I enjoyed camping. We'll see if I am willing to do it again. Daddy's going to have to work hard to convince Mommy though :)

2 comments:

louis said...

I'll bet the smores and marshmallows were mommy's favorites. What did you think of holding the abalone?

Love, Grandpa

John said...

looks like a fun trip!! I just can't get over how grown-up Lily looks in these pictures!! What a big girl now!!

XOXO